Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Deep Freeze: Woolrich Arctic Parka




I bought a Woolrich Arctic Parka at Due West in early November. January is giving me plenty of opportunities to test it out, and I'm pleased to say that it was worth every penny. I wanted a down-filled parka with a sturdy, water-resistant exterior, and this coat has a Teflon finish that works beautifully. I also wanted lined chest pockets similar to my Barbour Bedale because it's always nice to have pockets for my hands and pockets for my stuff. The length of the Arctic Parka is mid-thigh for me (5'4"), and this is a solid compromise between warmth and mobility. My bum is warm, but I also have the option of hopping on a bicycle or going skating. Finally, I wanted removable fur so I can wash the coat at home. I would say the coat runs true to size. I took a small, which gives me enough room to layer a thick wool sweater underneath. When it's negative 36 Celsius windchill, you definitely need extra layers to supplement the parka.

I also caved in and bought a pair of Blundstones in black. They're a bit clunky, but I find them to be charming. Plus, I don't mind getting them dirty, and slip-on Chelsea boots have really streamlined getting out the door in the mornings.

10 comments:

B. said...

This is exactly what I wear on cold days with the kids, only my parka's from Aritzia (I know) via Craigslist.

erica said...

I think those aritzia parkas are pretty nice, but I really wanted real fur this time. I should have also mentioned that I rely on uniqlo heattech long underwear and tights for extra warmth. this cold is too much! you really can't mess with warm layering when you're outside with the kids..

Sarge in Charge said...

I couldn't settle on a mega parka (I was just so nervous about pulling the trigger since I'll be wearing the same one for years)... and instead got two less warm coats for the same price. DUMB. This one looks great- cuter than the more expensive Canada Goose, in my opinion.

If I have learned one thing since moving to Minnesota, its that layers are EVERYTHING. They are the difference between walking in a winter wonderland and trudging through an Arctic Tundra.

erica said...

I completely agree, a great parka makes a huge difference, but the price can be hard to accept. I like that the Woolrich is understated and can be dressed up more than Canada Goose.

Cyber Me said...

Blunnies! Those are indeed sturdy, but being Australian, they're not made to weather snow. I had a pair of RJ Williams (the more streamlined, patrician version of heritage work boots, beautifully made) and they were indestructible before I moved to snowy climes.
All this to say, don't make my mistake: nourish the leather regularly.

Grace said...

I'm no longer in Toronto, but I appreciate the winter coat recommendations. Where did you get that lovely blue and white scarf?

erica said...

Hi Grace, the scarf is from Comrags on Dundas!

Adrienne said...

Contrary to Cyber Me's opinion, while they may not have been designed for Canadian winters, I think blundstones make great winter boots (explaining why every second person in Toronto has a pair). They have an acid-resistant, sturdy rubber sole with a good treat and thick, high quality leather. I only treat & protect mine twice a year and they're on they're 3rd season looking quite good.

joyce said...

Hi Erica -- Which Blundstone's did you get? I'm debating right now but there are so many different styles! Thanks in advance.

erica said...

Hi Joyce,
I got the Blundstone Chisel Toe. I definitely recommend trying them on first. I sized down quite a bit, and I think there's something weird going on with their half-sizes.

Adrienne,
I agree that my Blundstones have been holding up nicely so far in the snow and slush. Obviously they aren't completely water-resistant because of the side elastic, but I find my feet stay dry and warm with a thick pair of wool socks. Also, I try to wipe them clean every few days to counter the salt build up.