Sunday, February 18, 2007

dace

I first heard about Dace, a Canadian (Vancouver, BC) designer, from Impulse. I bought a tunic about three years back that I wasn't sure how to wear. It came with a belt, but I'm not really into those things. I realized that the best way to wear the top was to cinch the belt at the empire line. Unfortunately, the belt would never stay put. Then, recently, I decided that it looks great on its own. It's like a slightly more structured t-shirt with clever stitching details and tulip cap sleeves.

Anyway, although I have been less than enthusiastic about her more recent collections, I am singularly impressed by the SS 07 offerings. Beautiful cut and fit, durable fabrics (mostly cotton), ladylike yet not overly cute, and just the right mix of fashion and style. Having followed her work for the past three years, I would definitely say that there is a consistent aesthetic underpinning it all.

Here are my top picks from www.dace.ca (online shopping at www.shopdace.ca):


Chase dress, navy dot on cream--$147


Molly Raincoat, lined in cotton with high waist and hood--$240


Sally dress, french terry--$128


Lady dress--$156


Maddison top--$104.

No comments: